Thursday, November 13, 2014

Incorporating Technology

         When I first began this endeavor, I struggled to "find time" to incorporate technology. However, I've come to realize a few things. First, students are always more "qualified" to use the technology than I anticipate. Secondly, the first time a program or site is used it might take more time, but this process eventually becomes much more efficient and often more effective than using typical pen and paper methods.


     Padlet is one form of technology I have used recently with success. Padlet allows each student to provide an idea to a group "discussion" on the screen. Students have used this multiple times, including before reading The Giver when each student described their idea of a "perfect" world. Additionally, during reading A Midsummer Night's Dream, I provided a selection from the text and each group provided their translation of the selection into modern English (as well as an explanation of the quote's humor) using Padlet.


      Google Docs is another form of technology I have implemented successfully. While practicing using the TIQA format, a form of analysis writing, students worked in groups to compose literary analysis paragraphs. One student from each group was invited to a Google Doc so that the students could simultaneously type and compare/contrast their work with the writing of other groups. This allowed us to work in "real time" and allowed me to provide comments electronically while they worked.


     I'm looking forwarding to finding other ways to use this technology and exploring other possible applications as the school year continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment